Sitting in Atlanta between flights, waiting to board for Orlando, I’m thinking about long times:
- 5 years since I last attended the International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts
- 4 years (?) since I was on a plane
- 10 years since I seriously started into scholarship of horror and the fantastic
- 86 years to the day since H. P. Lovecraft died
- 17 years since I started working publishing fiction
Lots of years, successes, missed opportunities, and unexpected joys. Speaking of joys, another long time: writing for more years than I can remember.
And that was much more rumination than necessary to say I’m off to ICFA 44! I’m presenting “Always Already Nostalgic: Dead Tech, Obsolescence, and Retro Affects in Media Horror” this year. Not purely focused on horror fiction, as I often am, and I’m looking forward to all the panels, presents, and conversations.